Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On a more serious note...

Memories are important.
They are why we have photographs, why we make photo albums and why we scrapbook. We want to remember the good years, days, and moments of our life.
Most people don’t remember the first 3 or 4 years of their life, so we have pictures help us remember, or to give us an idea of what it was like.

It is generally accepted that no-one can recall their birth. Most people generally do not remember anything before the age of three, although some theorists (e.g. Usher and Neisser, 1993) argue that adults can remember important events - such as the birth of a sibling - when they occurred as early as the age of two." -John Dent, Middlesbrough, UK

I recently looked through all the photo albums we have stacked up in our family room. I came across pictures, events, and moments I had long since forgotten. I am so grateful my parents chose to take lots of pictures when we were young, despite the fact that all they had back then was film, which was expensive.
I am grateful for photographs that help us remember those times I would otherwise forget.

“A life-long blessing for children is to fill them with warm memories of times together. Happy memories become treasures in the heart to pull out on the tough days of adulthood.
-Charlotte Davis Kasl

Memories, are why I take pictures. When I am older and have I family, I am going to take lots of pictures of my children and family; even if they are embarrassed by it and end up having a phobia of cameras in their teen/adult years. They won’t regret letting me take those pictures. I know from experience. I can’t remember everything that happened when I was 2 years old, I can’t remember everything that happened that one time when we travelled to California when I was 5 of 6. I can’t remember every Christmas and Birthday I’ve ever had. But I can look at pictures, they help me remember.

I remember lots of things,
The good memories…
Of camping trips and campfires, of birthday parties and scavenger hunts. Of bbq’s with good friends, picnics with my family. Memories of trips to Europe and sunny days at the pool. Of deep worship sessions with my church family and many, many stupid music videos with my neighbor. Of horseback riding and playing soccer, of the one year we did swim team. Of all the flowers I’ve photographed and rainbows I’ve glimpsed.
And the bad memories…
Memories of throwing up and falling down. Of letting go and giving up. Of those embarrassing moments when you say something you wish you could take back; or when you lost your chance and didn’t say anything at all. Memories of being made fun of, mocked, and knocked down. Of when you did something you knew you shouldn’t have done and have regretted it ever since. Of failed attempts, lies, and broken relationships. Memories of saying goodbye.

But I’ve also forgotten many things.

I hope to have many more memories of things like this; good, bad, sad or embarrassing. I hope to get many pictures. Pictures of laughing and smiling or crying/frowning.
Happy Birthday to me…
I am sixteen years old as of today.

Sixteen years of memories, experiences, and adventures; both good and bad.
Sixteen years of pictures and videos. Pictures of us smiling, laughing, crying and frowning.

I hope to have more than sixteen years of the future to experience, to take pictures, to travel, and to make memories.

Why are memories important?
“They are your identity.
They ARE your life experiences, how you view the world, why you view the world in the way you do-- without them, you don't know who you are.”
[http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081013123354AANTmdM]


What are some things you remember of your childhood, or even just a few years ago?
Why are memories important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment